We moved to Missouri, where land is cheap and you never have to water your garden, in order to homestead and become self-sufficient.
Last year, while working in the yard late in August I picked up a tick and got Lyme’s. I ended up with half my face paralyzed. After doing some natural stuff I decided to take amoxycillan which is okay with breastfeeding.
(Photo: 7 months after the right side of my face being paralyzed. Still a little droopy.)
I stayed inside the rest of that fall as I wasn’t feeling well and was pretty down on being in the yard. The garden became over grown with weeds. We never did get out there to clean it all up even. (Now I am not too eager to deal with ticks or chiggers for that matter.)
There I was, recuperating and only going from my house to the car and the week after I finished the antibiotic I picked up another tick. I sent it off to a lab for testing (since that is cheaper than a blood test.) It came back positive.
Since I’d just taken amoxycillan, I didn’t want to take it again. And since I was nursing my 6 month old I didn’t want to take something stronger.
So as of this week I am experiencing arthritis in my elbow. Now I have to decide what to do. Do I stop nursing and take stronger meds?
This isn’t so easy a decision even though my babe is just over a year. t I truly believe that nursing him could save his life. He was only very sick once this winter (though he did experience several one night fevers as my kids often have.) At those times I am always so grateful that I am nursing. If he had been on formula or drinking milk he most likely would have been even sicker with various illnesses that breastfeeding prevents.Nursing my babies has always given me confidence that they would overcome their illnesses without needing medications or becoming dehydrated.
Besides, nursing is so cheap and in any kind of emergency situation it is VITAL. (Normally I would nurse the baby until age two-three.)
So we have no insurance and after having myself treated for Lyme’s and 6 of our children (except the baby) tested for Lymes we owe about $1200 now since we are self-employed and can’t afford insurance.
To make things even worse, a few months ago in the dead of winter during a cold spell I went a few days without bathing the baby and only changing his outer clothes not his undershirt. When I went to bathe him on a warmer day I found a huge tick on him and I just about cried. How in the dead of winter do we have to deal with this!?!?!? (Likely a tick came in with the dogs that we’d feed in the house.)
So we came out here to free ourselves and we’ve gained debt and now we’re ill and not looking forward to gardening at all.
It is very frustrating as 2 of my children tested positive and despite taking antibiotics (which I have rarely ever given any of them before) they still have Lyme’s symptoms.
I wonder if I should douse our place with bug killer and forget the chicken eggs? I know we need to get guinea hens but I haven’t been able to handle the difficulty of raising them yet. We have chickens which do help with the ticks, but we have sooo many here it is crazy.
When we first moved here, before we moved in, I went to the trash cans and the can was COVERED with ticks, similar to when a trash can is covered with ants. The chickens have helped incredibly, but there are still plenty of the incidious cridders.
I just don’t know if the country is synonymous with them?